FRESH FROM THE FARM: HEALTHY FUNDRAISING FOR ONTARIO SCHOOLS
Welcome to Fresh from the Farm: Healthy Fundraising for Ontario Schools!
Since Fresh from the Farm’s launch in 2013, 2,200 schools have raised over $1.9 million for school initiatives, selling 4.3 million pounds of fresh Ontario-grown fruit and vegetables to Ontario families. This has generated almost $5 million in local food sales.
Why is Fresh from the Farm so successful?
- Fresh from the Farm is the only school fundraiser eligible to all Ontario’s publicly funded schools, selling Ontario-grown fruit and vegetables.
- Provides schools a profitable fundraising model that aligns with Ontario’s School Food and Beverage Policy thereby enabling a more supportive nutrition environment
- Provides opportunities for introducing the related topics of agriculture, food, and healthy eating into the school environment
- Benefits Ontario farmers and stimulates the provincial economy through the promotion and sales of fresh, Ontario fruit and vegetables, and,
- Supports higher achievement of children and youth by promoting health and well-being through the increased consumption of fruit and vegetables within the family home.
Who can participate each Fall?
- All public and private schools registered to operate in Ontario.
- First Nation Schools within our delivery zones.
What Ontario-grown products are sold?
- Vegetable Bundle contains: 5 lb potatoes, 3 lb carrots, 3 lb onions, 3 lb sweet potatoes
- Apple Bundle contains: 8 lb Empire apples
What profit does the school make?
- 40% of total sales
- A school selling an average of 150 Vegetable Bundle and 60 Apple Bundle makes a profit of $1200
- Highest volume school in 2017 made profit of almost $10,000
What's the timeline?
- Enrol June 14 until September 30
- Fundraise beginning September 7
- Submit order by October 14
- Bundles delivered November 8-December 9